Maharaja’s Technological Institute is the oldest Polytechnic in Kerala state. Located in the heart of Thrissur, the polytechnic was started as a war technicians training center by the Govt. of India during world war II. In 1946, their training center was named as Maharaja’s Technological Institute and diploma courses in Civil, Mechanical and Electrical Engineering were started in 1947-48.Later on in 1991-92 and 1998-99 Electronics Engineering and Computer Engineering. Were also started. When the directorate of Technical education was formed under Govt. of Kerala, the institution came under the administrative control of the Directorate.
Maharaja’s Technological Institute is a premier technical education center in Kerala targeting the rural people. Even though, the institution is located in the heart of Thrissur town, it is surrounded by a number of villages which are backward. This institution serves as a Nodal Polytechnic for the Thrissur District in which seven polytechnics are located. The college has hostel facilities for men, which attracts students from distant rural locations.